Saturday, January 26, 2013

EPIC Sinulog 2013


Sorry for the long blog hiatus. I went through a crazy change in work schedule(and work in general)and I am still struggling to survive it one day at a time. So New Year and Christmas passed by without one single blog entry. I was really on auto pilot on most of those days but don’t worry I will try to make something out of the great year that has been 2012.  Anyways, back to the present, I would like to start 2013 with a great bang! What better way to celebrate the resurrection of my blog than Sinulog, right?!

Ever since I stayed in Cebu, I've shied away from the Sinulog crowd. I only go to the heart of the action to see the parade, visit Ned Nanay’s for a dose of  my favorite BBQ then we  usually just eat somewhere else for dinner and go home. This year, since I now live downtown I got the chance to really experience Sinulog, the best way possible!

First off, we went to The Church, on foot. 


I wasn't able to go to church days prior to the feast but we made it a point to make up for 
the lost opportunity and went to church on the day itself. We garbed ourselves in church appropriate attires yet ready for the action that will come. We had to squeeze our way into the church (literally) and I almost got squashed between a dad carrying a child and a boyfriend forcing all of his girlfriend’s friends in. Inside we had to stand up the entire mass since it’s really really crowded. Like hundred thousand crowded. 

The mass is exhilarating. Its my first time to attend a mass where they actually dance the Señor and it is both tear jerking and hair raising.  Everyone, from kids to really old grannies are all very festive. I love the Cebuano’s very strong dedication to the Santo Niño and I love how it is so evident everywhere and at any given day.

After the mass, me, my cousin and my brother had to walk from The Church to the Capitol Area. Yes my dears, we had to walk. Any form of transportation is not an option, unless you have a chopper. We had to go to the other side of the city and we had a hard time crossing over to the other side of the parade. Good thing it was a downtime and we were able to pass through some gaps in the roped area, but not without difficulty, mind you.

I didn’t plan on joining any party but my friends called (via Viber because Sun’s network ALWAYS go into a coma on Sinulog days) and told me they were coming over. I had to bathe over at my Cousin’s because the heat and the  long crowded walk vaporized all deo/perfume/lotion on my body. 

This was us before the whole crazy paint-your-friend-dirty started.


We went to Baseline(apparently the place to be during Sinulog) and ended up in the grounds of the Century Hotel and next thing I saw was two of my friends already on top of the detached ledge by the street weaving a flag. 
We were greeted by everyone we know and all those other friends of a friend's friend by means of painting your face. I tried protecting the borrowed shirt I was wearing, I succeeded only for the first hour.
 We were right by the street and we started partying right then and there, with the sun still up and with thousands of other people continuously streaming through the street before us. Route Stop was super crowded long before we started buying drinks. Drinks were on plastic cups and was passed on from one painted hand to another.
The crowd got rowdier as night started falling. More friends came by and hundred thousand other people passed by us. Whatever the effect of the drinks we had had no comparison to the energy this crazy crowd had, it’s unbelievable. It’s like getting high through other’s energy, creepy!

My Sinulog 2013 was complete and I had a blast! This year is EPIC!
 Photo Credits: Xiong|Malsh|Adelo



2 comments: