Sunday, January 27, 2013

How to: Diagonal French Tip Nails

I have always marveled at hose perfectly done nail tips and I have always attributed them to uncanny , superhuman steady hands of an artist. When I found out that there is a trick that would allow me(with coffee-induced unsteady hands) to do it my own, I got so excited. If you've read my previous blog entries, you'd notice that I'm no fan of salon manipedi. I prefer to do it myself. I don't like other people tinkering into my nails because I don't like the use of nippers. I thank God and my genes for the easy to maintain nails that has been passed on to me. 

This week's nail peg is Diagonal French Tip
Photo Credits: polishpedia
First you have to paint a base color. In choosing the color, I suggest if you have nail polish of the same family tree, then use those. Like Dark blue and Light Blue, so they will look coherent OR if you are a feeling adventurous, choose something of contrasting colors. Whatever color makes you happy, go for it. Let this dry out. A friend of mine suggested you give it a day. Try your best to use as little coats as possible since you will have to layer another color later and skip the top coat for now. I chose Sassy Colors' Misty Lilac. I actually like this brand, their brush is not so bad and it comes in small bottles. 

AND ladies and gentlemen, this is the cheat. HAHAHA! I finally found out about it while reading online. Tape lang pala! All along I really thought about stencils and all those complicated shit. Brace yourselves, more taped-assisted nail polishes are coming. 

For this style, you just have to tape your nails diagonally, letting the tips that you wanna paint to show up. Try your best to have uniform angles so it will look nice once it's done. 

When taping, make sure that the ends of the tape is stuck securely on your nails. Make sure there are no open gaps, especially on the edges so the secondary color will not "leak" to the other side. 

After you are 100% sure that the tapes are securely fastened, you are now ready for takeoff. Parang eroplano lang *wink*. Once you're ready, paint the exposed parts with the color that you prefer. This time, I used Caronia's Baby Pink. 
DON'T PEEL OFF the tapes yet. Let it dry off about 80%. 
Once dried, you can now take off. Notice the lines are straits but it kind of have a horizontal bump, this can be remedied by the top coat, including that wrinkle in the middle finger. 
This is how my attempt turned out, not perfect but good enough for me. 
 Hope you like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment