Friday, October 18, 2013

Magnitude 7.2

It seems like the entire household is getting sick. First Fritz, then Scila,then Tita, then Jan, then Ate Cena and now it seems like im queued too.  All thishappened after the earthquake, a merw 4 days ago. That 7.2 magnitude quake left all of us scared and cower every horrifying aftershock. The aftershocks that jolts us awake even kn the deepest of REM sleeps. This has cause several businesses to stop operations, evacuation of workers, province-wide cancellation of classes on all levels. 

During the quake, were all shaking and sweating and immediately after we packed the essentials and left the house. We went to San Nicholas Church's grounds, right across the building that partly collapsed which killed 5 people instantly. People were crying, carrying children, pets, bags.  Some without slippers, some still in bed clothes. We stayed there for a couple of  hours and it was then that I realized how much danger we were in, it had sunk in. I would have cried then, along with countless other people crying, but I just shook and held my tears. I still had my mascara on, and I do not want to be foud under the rubbles with racoon eyes. We made calls, sent texts.  We did not know then how strong that quake was and where the epicenter is. Every aftershock, strong or weak, the people starts running and screaming. It was a scary, terrifying scene. 


This is an eye opener for me. It seems like every year we have major calamities in the country that hammers on our faith and our soul. Families are broken, businesse destroyed, homes devastated. I feel for everyone and to be completely honest, I am not completely over the Sendong Calamity in my beloved CDO. 
I salute the Filipino people for their risiliance. Amidst the crisis we still have a reason to smile, we always find a reason to continue living. With this earthquake I personally witnessed the Cebuano's unflayling devotion to Santo Niño. No group in the crowd(mind you, there were close to 500 people in that crowd) that does not carry their Niño's. 

Lets mourn the lives that were lost, the ancient churches that were destroyed, the infrastratures that will take months and years to rebuild. Let's pray for the families torn apart and let's pray for strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment